A1 temptation, so...

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
SrMi
SrMi Senior Member • Posts: 2,311
Re: A1 .. it's a "Gucci watch" for those concerned mostly with image instead of images...

aSevenArr wrote:

Rob J wrote:

You (and likely many others) are not going to like my opinion but I'm going to throw it out there anyway for what it's worth. (probably nothing).

I too, am sorely tempted by the A1. When considering the actual purchase though, I ask myself the following questions.

Will an Ai blow the photos that I'm getting from my A7rIII out of the water? Will I take much better travel, BIF, portraits, landscapes than I do now? Will the photos that come out of an Ai be obvious to even the most sophisticated viewer that they were taken with a superior camera? Will this camera somehow improve my skill level and make me a significantly better photographer than I am now?

The answer to all of those question for me is NO.

I totally agree.

Not only is the thing ridiculously expensive but I have yet to see an image posted that could not just as easily have been captured with my current A9.

So aside from the pose factor of toting the latest gear (and almost certainly showing to others that you do NOT make your living from photography) there really is no advantage to an A1 upgrade IMHO.

IMHO it's a Gucci watch camera for those more concerned with their image rather than their images.

Me.. I'm considering one of the new prime lenses. FAR more likely to show me some clearly better results.

A1 improvements vs. A9 that are relevant to me:

- higher resolution

- 1 stop better max. DR

- faster sensor readout

- better weather sealing

- more responsive

- better UI (menu)

- better low-light AF (1EV improvement)

- higher resolution EVF

If one does not care about those items, or if the cost is not worth it, it is better to stay with a9. However, it seems to me that a1 is clearly a better and more versatile camera than a9.

a9 is still an excellent camera, but for landscape, cityscape, macro, etc, an a7rIV or a1 is a better choice.

I skipped the upgrade from a7rIII -> a7rIV and from a9 to a9II and got a1 instead.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow