Diagonal Streaks In Sky on Select Shots (NOT Posterization)

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
CarlitosM Regular Member • Posts: 307
Re: Diagonal Streaks In Sky on Select Shots (NOT Posterization)

CaliforniaDave wrote:

Platographer wrote:

CaliforniaDave wrote:

Platographer wrote:

CarlitosM wrote:

Did you try cleaning the front element and filters? Looks like smears on either of those to me.

The filters and front element were clean. However, my ND filters seem to miraculously get some streaking when I use them, seemingly by rubbing together in the holder. But, if that caused this, wouldn't the streaking on the filters align with the streaking pattern in the sky? The streaks the filters get are not diagonal lines. Also, why would it appear on some photos like the one I posted a few replies above of the same scene that I took without filters while also not appearing on some photos taken with filters? I think that can be ruled out as the cause, but I appreciate the idea.

It would be reasonable to remove all filters and see if you can reproduce the streaks without them, to completely rule out the filters.

As I said in the post you quoted, the second photo was taken without filters.

Sorry, I missed that. Although I copied your quote, I was actually thinking about your post with the actual second picture in it, in which you seemed to be saying you had used a filter.

Did you shoot both RAW and JPEG when you took the picture? And, if so, did the JPEG have the streaks? If you have not shot both RAW and JPEG together, it might be useful to do so to see if the streaks are in the camera produced JPEG or are a result of processing the RAW. Does the Tamron 28-200 have the latest firmware?

It's not obvious from the second image/description that there were no filters used. Some people always use protective/UV filters.

As you got it only with one lens but not the other, it seems more likely a lens than a camera issue. However, firmware/lens correction artefacts are usually not linear. Neither are internal reflections. The shorter exposure on which the streaks are more obvious was taken at a slightly smaller aperture. Is there a correlation between intensity of the streaks and the f number? Were the shots with the 16-35 taken at lower f numbers? Maybe you have something on the sensor from a not that well performed previous cleaning. I would clean lens and sensor and then see whether the streaks are coming back.

CarlitosM's gear list:CarlitosM's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a7R III
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow