What is holding Sigma back with the new Merril(s)?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ChromeLight Senior Member • Posts: 2,667
Re: Haven‘t you heard the news some time back....?

Scottelly wrote:

ChromeLight wrote:

Scottelly wrote:

D Cox wrote:

FDecker wrote:

Sigma, as you may know, wants to develop a new full frame 1:1:1 Foveon sensor for a photo-centric camera along the tradition of the SD9 to SD1. But they faced severe technical problems and re-started the project.

I think this is the answer to your question, plain and simple.

And developing a new sensor is a tough project.

Apparently . . . because it's full-frame. They were so confident, when they made their announcement about creating the full-frame Foveon sensor. Mr. Yamaki even said once, matter-of-factly, that they could make a medium format Foveon sensor. I wonder if he would say that today.

I wonder if it even matters any longer . . . With the new Fuji and fpl I'm not certain there's really a market for Foveon going forward. Even the fpl is a hard sell if you just want to do still photography. It's actually not that much smaller than a Nikon Z7, and perhaps even larger once you attach the faster L mount lenses. The Sony A1 is outrageous. Too expensive for the amount of photography I do. But seriously impressive.

I hope Sigma can maybe make an L mount clone of the Z mount 24-50. Something like that would pair perfectly with the fpl for those who don't want to juggle a trio of prime lenses.

The L mount 28-70mm f2.8 OS C doesn't satisfy you?

I think the 60 MP Sigma is relevant, and I think the full-frame Foveon will be relevant too. I'm hoping Sigma will follow it with a full-frame Quattro for those who want ultimate resolution. Again I don't see the competition stepping up from the 60 MP Sony to a 75 MP Nikon or Canon. Canon stepped back from 50 MP to 45 MP, Nikon just stepped up from 36 MP to 45 MP, and Sony stepped back from 60 MP to 50 MP, as if 60 MP was too much. I'm seriously perplexed by this. Considering the fact that a full-frame Quattro, at the same density as the other Quattros, would be equivalent to a 90 MP full-frame camera, that is what I would like to see Sigma make after they finally make the first full-frame Foveon.

You may be right though. It might not matter by then. Surely that's years in the future, and I might have a 100 MP medium format Fuji by then.

Sorry, I should have clarified that I was seeking to lighten any system. So 2.8 lenses are out--already have a D800 with the f/2.8 24-70. It's a great combo but hardly a walk around camera. Sadly, the smaller Nikon prime wide angles (the older designs still sold) don't autofocus with the new Z system's adapter. The fp series though with three primes is still an option for a light system. Luckily I live where Sigma has a showroom. I'm hoping in a few months to stop buy and get hands on with the fpl.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow