Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
PMUK
PMUK Senior Member • Posts: 1,815
Re: The Royal Station at Wolferton...

Dak on cam wrote:

PMUK wrote:

Dak on cam wrote:

PMUK wrote:

The Royal Station at Wolferton was used by various Kings and Queens and members of high society attending the nearby royal residence at Sandringham Estate until 1966. (The line was closed in 1969 following the Beeching Review of the National Rail Network). The station and signal box still remain, but are now private residences. The station has been restored by the current owner to reflect its former status, with viewings possible by prior appointment. Photography of the site from the exterior is 'expressly' permitted.

We passed the site during a recent trip to the area in ‘Frank’ (our camper van). The images were taken by Karen, then processed/ fiddled around with by me.

Further details of The Royal Station can be found by clicking Here .

Phil and Karen

I would suggest going for quite higher contrast curves in your B&W processing: that is too much of a faded look at least for my taste, and you have to offset the loss of color by bringing more for the eyes to rest on in.

With B&W one can aim for "striking" in a manner that would be technicolor/garish in color.

Hi Dak,

That's noted, with thanks. The intention was to provide a semi-faded old photo look,

There is too much detail/gradation of the greyness for that in there. Old photographs don't get better by aging.

so I guess that kind-of succeeded - but point taken. (I'm also processing these to 'standard').

Well sure, but that's kind of independent once we are talking about digital.

I'm currently learning DxO PL4 and weaving it into the initial processing side of my existing workflow, so will definitely revisit these images. The 'old-photo' treatment was provided by Topaz Studio 2, which also has various filters for adjusting contrast, so I'll also have a play with the images at this end of the processing chain as well. (We retain our original raws).

I think I'll be getting plenty of practice at producing various looks with these shots...

Certainly a nice selection!

Hi Dak,

One of the great things about this hobby is you can just play with different looks - an image is never finished, you just stop fiddling about with it.  I can certainly get Studio 2 to chew these up to an alarming degree.  Already looking forward to producing the next iterations.

Phil

PMUK's gear list:PMUK's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R5 +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow