One of the best

Started 6 months ago | User reviews thread
Dave
Dave Veteran Member • Posts: 5,848
Re: One of the best

quiquae wrote:

jamie8848 wrote:

It is an great, light lens, if ugly, however the minimum focus distance/magnification sucks compared to most other Canon options. The lens has climbed many mountains but fails for small flowers along the way. It was mainly this close focus frustration that turned me away from Nikkor Z lenses and the Nikon Z system.

The MFD of 30cm is actually very short--almost no non-macro EF lenses can focus that close. The 0.18x magnification does leave something to be desired. EF 50mm F1.8 STM is marginally better in this respect at 0.21x, and EF 35mm F2 IS is even better at 0.24x.

That said, if I were shopping specifically for a closeup-friendly standard prime for mountain climbing, I'd probably downscale to an EOS M body with an EF-M 28mm Macro STM. If full frame is a requirement, then I'd move to an EOS RP with an RF 35mm F1.8 STM, which is a half-macro.

That's a new term for me, @quiquae.

Dave's gear list:Dave's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow