What is holding Sigma back with the new Merril(s)?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Tom Schum
Tom Schum Forum Pro • Posts: 11,679
Re: What is holding Sigma back with the new Merril(s)?

This discussion has me asking the question, "Would I be happy with a 20mp FF Foveon?" and after quite a bit of thought on this subject my answer is leaning toward "not really".

Part of it is the well-known performance limitations of Foveon, part of it is the difficulty of processing the photos in SPP, and part of it is that a 20mp output image is simply more than I'm comfortable with.

Basically I take my 26mp Fuji X image and downsize it to 1/4 original pixels (or less) and enjoy the images.  This means about 6mp images at the largest, and most of my images are HD (1920x1080 = 2.1mp).  I seldom print, and I don't do anything professionally.

I looked at the fp, and slowly came to the conclusion that it would be about the same as my Fujis except full frame (and I'd need a bunch of new lenses too).  If I didn't have my Fujis the fp would be quite an attractive tool for me.  A friend has been showing me his fp, and some of his L-mount lenses too, and it is all very nice.  But, it's not too different from my Fujis in my eyes.

Regarding the fp L, I've spent quite a bit of time in the past few days working with fp L files and learning all over again about how you really need a book to read whenever you make any change, even the tiniest change in an image in SPP.  Not hot to go there!  20mp FFF would not be much faster if at all.  Very pretty stuff comes out of the fp L though!

Limiting my shooting to ISO ranges from 50-400 is another thing I am not excited to do.

So, for me personally, and for the way I enjoy my photography hobby, I think I'm doing pretty well with my Fuji kit.  The Fuji X-E4 remains on my "next buy" list.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum
Copper: Mankind's favorite electrical conductor

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic ZS100 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-E4 +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow