We are buying a LOT of R5 and R6 cameras according to Canon's latest report

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Siobhan_K Regular Member • Posts: 232
Smartphone Bump Branding?

David Franklin wrote:

Who do we imagine handful of potential suitors would even include?

Samsung, for one. Despite their previous exit from the non-cell phone market, they might jump at having a huge marketing tool to add to their existing technology prowess, to compete with with Sony, one of their biggest competitors in most of their markets, in a new consumer space. Just the opportunity to tweak the noses of big Japanese companies, like Sony and Canon, would be attractive to them, even if the profits from this arrangement would be comparatively small.

Interesting thoughts.

But I personally don't see it. I think Samsung already vanquished Sony and, frankly, Japan, long ago in all the markets it wanted--smartphones, computing, imaging, almost everywhere else they've offered competing products. These days, Samsung's corporate sights lock on Apple; I doubt they think much about tweaking Sony, at all.

Samsung didn't leave the system camera market because they didn't believe they could "compete" with Sony (or Canon or Nikon); they left it because the standalone camera biz as a whole tipped into staggering, irrevocable decline, and Samsung was already a market leader in the smartphone imaging technology responsible for that tilt! The way the camera biz was going (and continues to go), they realized they didn't need a standalone or system camera line to beat CaNikOny black-and-blue; they were already doing it (and continue to do it) with Galaxy "S" smartphones.

Ultimately, I think it's the Nikon name that might be worth something to a company like Samsung--not their product or whatever tech they'd offer in their standalone-camera book of business. Would Samsung be interested in printing "Nikon imaging" on the back of its smartphone camera bumps the way the Chinese smartphone companies have (sadly) licensed Leica and Hasselblad? Maybe? The problem, though, is that Samsung probably thinks (rightly) that their own brand offers a stronger marketing caché in the field. Most people shoot smartphones. Have for a while. "Samsung" really is, now, a bigger name in photography than "Nikon." It'd probably mean more, to most people, to see "Samsung" rather than "Nikon" on the camera bump of their next phone.

Regardless, smartphone camera-bump branding exercises would ignominious end for Nikon; I hope they do everything in their power to avoid it. And these discussions really do highlight the depths of their problem. I hope they've thought this stuff through.

Siobhan_K's gear list:Siobhan_K's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon 85mm F1.4L IS USM Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow