A1 temptation, so...

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
joger
joger Veteran Member • Posts: 7,027
Re: A1 temptation, so...

Rob J wrote:

You (and likely many others) are not going to like my opinion but I'm going to throw it out there anyway for what it's worth. (probably nothing).

I too, am sorely tempted by the A1. When considering the actual purchase though, I ask myself the following questions.

Will an Ai blow the photos that I'm getting from my A7rIII out of the water? Will I take much better travel, BIF, portraits, landscapes than I do now? Will the photos that come out of an Ai be obvious to even the most sophisticated viewer that they were taken with a superior camera? Will this camera somehow improve my skill level and make me a significantly better photographer than I am now?

The answer to all of those question for me is NO.

Sure, there is a possibility that I may get more "keepers" with an A1, but I shoot 4-5 days out of any given week and I get more keepers now than I can, well - keep up with, just shooting with my A7RIII. (and previously with my Lumix G9 before moving to FF).

Now, if you've got a pile of cash sitting around that just needs to be spent, and owning an A1 for the sake of owning it would make you feel good, then go for it. Life is short and getting shorter with each passing day.

I'm not saying that I personally will never own an A1. As I have mentioned, I am sorely tempted. For the time being though, I'm pretty content with what I have. If I were to buy another camera at this point, I'd likely buy another A7RIII body as a backup. But, that's just me.

Good luck with your decision. We all want what we want.

excellent summary - the end of the day it is always a competition between different activities and/or tools.

IMHO the investment in lenses is the most beneficial followed by traveling and accommodation.

Far far behind is the investment for camera bodies for me and opposite to camera bodies lenses don't have that much progress over time.

All recent GM primes from Sony throughout the past 3..4 years will hardly get any better in potential MK II versions a few years out.

Camera bodies will get cheaper since the technology cripples down from he top models over time.

The Alpha One is IMHO a technology demonstrator and as such a good indication about the company engagement.

Which is ultimately good for all in the corresponding eco system

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." Douglas Adams

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sony FE 35mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.2 GM Sony FE 14mm F1.8 GM +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow