Found A Great Use For A D200! Astrophotography

Started Nov 2, 2019 | Discussions thread
AwesomeIan Senior Member • Posts: 2,303
Re: Found A Great Use For A D200! Astrophotography

CharlesPhillips wrote:

AwesomeIan wrote:

CharlesPhillips wrote:

AwesomeIan wrote:

D200 is terrible for astro. The ISO is way too limited and the batteries don't last long at all.

Perhaps you should actually read my posts - I did get a new battery and I use the camera to take photos of satellites, not deep space objects.

I have used the camera for months and it works great.

Battery life is still terrible compared to any somewhat modern camera. Even the D7000 would be a huge step up in image/ISO/battery life for capturing satellites. Sorry this isn't what you wanted to hear but I own the D200 and have pointed it at the stars at night and it is terrible.

As I said - it works for me. You are saying that newer cameras would work better and I agree. But if you have a D200 sitting around it might be usable for someone.

I don't understand your logic. The D200 has pretty bad ISO performance. You aren't going to be shooting much astrophotography at ISO 200. By almost any measurement it it is certainly way below average for astrophotography. Glad it works for you but that doesn't change the facts.

-- hide signature --
 AwesomeIan's gear list:AwesomeIan's gear list
Nikon D500 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD HD Pentax D FA 24-70mm F2.8 ED SDM WR +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow