*** 25 April 2021 - 2nd May 2021 - Weekly Show, Tell, and Critique***

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Birddogman
Birddogman Veteran Member • Posts: 7,861
Re: *** 25 April 2021 - 2nd May 2021 - Weekly Show, Tell, and Critique***

Oh, I didn't think in terms of wireless.  In that case, what you say makes perfect sense.

Yes, I remember the days of dial-up.  Pretty much impossible to do any real work with such a system.

To my surprise and delight (I figured it would be 50 years before it happened way out in the stick where we live with only a tiny handful of potential subscribers), just before my wife needed full-time care and I needed to work from home most of the time, the local cable company installed underground cable along the road up the mountain.  They even ran the cable down my looong land to within 50 yards of the house.  It had to cot them a fortune, but it was all at no cost to me - just hoping for new business I suppose.

Needless to say, I signed-up and ran the cable the final 50 yards from theri junction box to the house.  Now, I had high-speed internet and my completely handicapped wife could have 300 channels of TV to watch, instead of one or two scratchy channels over the antenna.  The subscription wasn't expensive either.  It was like magic.  I still have that set-up at home.

On the road, especially in the remote places we go, internet access and cell service can both be pretty spotty.  Here on the island, it's still kinda off and on, but  things have improved dramatically since they had to rebuild all the infrastructure from Hurricane Dorian.

The little boat bounding in its slip in 35 knot winds last night.

Greg

-- hide signature --
 Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony RX100 VII Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow