Which other system to pair with Fujifilm

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DuncanIdaho Regular Member • Posts: 107
Which other system to pair with Fujifilm

Ok, so instead of wondering what its like to shoot with other cameras, I decided to get a used mid-tier FF camera as an addition to my fujifilm kit. though I could also rent I believe buying used and selling will be more cost effective and allows me to spend more time with it. then again this is all just hobby to me and i'd like to play around with different tools.

hence I was asking my self, which would be the best system or camera to pair with fujifilm? my idea was to buy a used FF body for under <2000€ and to get a system which has different strength/weaknesses than my current fuji (XE1 + XT2) setup.

My personal take on the different options is as follows:

Canon RF

I only had Nikon before and would be curious to try out a canon instead. plus used L-class EF lenses are widespread and easy to get on the 2nd hand market.

I like the surface material used of the EOS R and even though it has its quirks it would be good just for the sake of trying "something else".

unfortunately I believe my next camera should have IBIS. (I currently have XT2) in addition all new RF lenses fall into the categories "affordable but mediocre quality" or "superb but way too expensive for me".

Nikon Z

I was always fond of Nikon and a while ago I held a Z6 in my hand and have to say, that it felt absolutely like "coming home". I also like the way they pursue with there affordable yet very high quality 1.8 primes.

Used Z6's and Z7's are also a great bargain currently.

So compared to my XT2 I'd gain

• better grip
  • IBIS
  • somewhat refined software (smartphone app, intelligent auto iso, more advanced bracketing, etc)

Sony

This is a tough one. TBH I dont really like sony as a camera brand. their sensors are great but to me they are still primarily an electronics company. I know this is purely subjective and does not make sense.

On the other hand, they seem to be a perfect companion to the fujis

• Ergos are not perfect but Sony is constantly improving. the button placement, handgrip and built quality is good since the MKiii models and new models show that sony is constantly improving
  • has IBIS
  • many say they have a less "organic look", so this could also augment well to fuji
  • lens selection is simply outstanding. this is where fuji falls short and with sony there are tons of good 3rd party options even with AF
  • Sony has the best AF! it is probably safe to say that sony has a huge advantage here and will keep it over the next generations. though fuji is improving they are still behind and I am not confident they will close the gap. to sony could be the ideal system to tiptoe into bleeding edge AF tracking.

Panasonic

They are the underdog in the FF territory. normally I would love to give them a try but used bodies are not really cheaper than the competition. then there AF is even worse than the one from fujifilm, so I am not sure if that would pair so well.

Lens selection is also not that great if I rule out the super expensice leica lenses.

So I wonder if there are any people out here who have been asking the same question or are even running a two-system strategy??

-- hide signature --
Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow