What is holding Sigma back with the new Merril(s)?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Scott Greiff
Scott Greiff Senior Member • Posts: 1,700
Re: What is holding Sigma back with the new Merril(s)?

fusoexplorer wrote:

I think many have come to expect that modern cameras have high ISO abilities and video. If Sigma is concerned about the foveon sensor not working too well with high ISO above 400 in color and 800 in B&W why don’t they just eliminate the ability to go above 800? And why don’t they just eliminate video altogether?

You can't eliminate video on a mirrorless body. So many systems rely on the live feed from the sensor, not just for recording. You need video for responsive live-view, for AF, for accurate focus peaking, reducing rolling-shutter artifacts, and any computational work would also depend on being able to read frames quickly off of the sensor.

I would argue that in order to expand their market, buyers these days expect to be able to record video with their camera. I don't imagine Sigma is interested in creating a whole camera JUST for the fans in this forum.

What would really be great is for Sigma to communicate their design goals with the FFF especially now that they've delayed the release twice already. It would go a long way to alleviate the die-hard fans (in this forum) as well as professionals even remotely considering the benefits of a sensor of this kind.

Years ago when I bought a camera you would pick a film to put in the camera and it was generally 50-100 iso sensitivity. Occasionally I would buy a 400 ISO film. And for video which I didn’t buy or use it wasn’t even a thought about a combined camera because it didn’t even exist.

High-ISO is table steaks theses days.

Believe me, I would have LOVED Sigma to create a stop-gap APS-C Foveon camera using their existing sensor just so I can use the L-mount glass I've been collecting recently. But, alas...

_Scott

Scott Greiff's gear list:Scott Greiff's gear list
Panasonic S1 Panasonic S 24-105mm F4 Macro OIS Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG DN Sigma 45mm F2.8 DG DN Sigma 105mm F2.8 DG DN Macro
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow