A1 temptation, so...

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Jason Switzer Regular Member • Posts: 115
Re: A1 temptation, so...

Rob J wrote:

You (and likely many others) are not going to like my opinion but I'm going to throw it out there anyway for what it's worth. (probably nothing).

I too, am sorely tempted by the A1. When considering the actual purchase though, I ask myself the following questions.

Will an Ai blow the photos that I'm getting from my A7rIII out of the water? Will I take much better travel, BIF, portraits, landscapes than I do now? Will the photos that come out of an Ai be obvious to even the most sophisticated viewer that they were taken with a superior camera? Will this camera somehow improve my skill level and make me a significantly better photographer than I am now?

The answer to all of those question for me is NO.

Sure, there is a possibility that I may get more "keepers" with an A1, but I shoot 4-5 days out of any given week and I get more keepers now than I can, well - keep up with, just shooting with my A7RIII. (and previously with my Lumix G9 before moving to FF).

Now, if you've got a pile of cash sitting around that just needs to be spent, and owning an A1 for the sake of owning it would make you feel good, then go for it. Life is short and getting shorter with each passing day.

I'm not saying that I personally will never own an A1. As I have mentioned, I am sorely tempted. For the time being though, I'm pretty content with what I have. If I were to buy another camera at this point, I'd likely buy another A7RIII body as a backup. But, that's just me.

Good luck with your decision. We all want what we want.

I’m with you. Don’t get me wrong... the A1 looks AMAZING and I’m sure I would love shooting with it, but my A9 is also pretty great too. I dig the extra MPs for greater detail, but honestly, I’d personally be better off buying better glass than a new body. All that being said, I’m sure I’ll pick up an A1 one day. I’d just rather swap my 35 ZA 1.4 for a 35 GM and pick up a hopefully lighter 70-200 II GM instead (God, I hope it’s as lightweight or even lighter as the Canon).

Anyway, I somehow managed to take the OP’s post and make it about me! Given what the A1 can do, he (she?) could probably sell the A7R and A9 and just consolidate with 1 body, right? OP would get blazing fast speed and a very high MP count without having to carry two bodies for specialized shooting. OP would lose some MP off of the A7R, but what are a few MP here and there? If you feel like you’re missing out, just take a few extra shots and stitch the images together... voila! Even more MP than the A7R.

-- hide signature --

www.jasonswitzerphotography.com
FB: www.facebook.com/jasonswitzerphotography
Insta: jswitzerphoto

Jason Switzer's gear list:Jason Switzer's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Sony a9 Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow