Mi 11 Ultra unable to handle night street lighting?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Patrick T. Kelly Veteran Member • Posts: 4,370
Re: Mi 11 Ultra unable to handle night street lighting?

Jostian wrote:

Pixel2xlSnapper wrote:

I saw this video today and was a bit disappointed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSwGZgtr2nQ
The X60 Pro was handling the night street lighting much better.

I have seen in other reviews too, that in spite of the GN2 sensor having the largest dynamic range, night lights are frequently blown out.
The final pics are not so good in spite of having a sensor that is 5 times the size of pixel 5 or iphone 12.

It looks like a software issue. But I don't know if Xiaomi will address this.

Even with its past premium phones like Mi 10, Mi 10 Ultra, Mi 11 etc. they have never quite improved the camera software that much to overtake samsung/apple/google flagships, even though technically their hardware is often much superior.
There are so many inconsistencies with the photo you get.

With the Mi 11 Ultra I see:
# Photos look a bit bleaker/flatter/duller/hazy (lacks the pop)
# Colors such as red, yellow, blue are off many times.
# Night lighting in streets, neon signs get blown out easily.
# Details are softer (esp. at night and even in the day).
# Sometimes there is a heavy yellow tint/cast on night photos looking artificially bright.
# Camera snapping animations are laggy.

I currently have a Pixel 2XL,
So should I wait for the Pixel 6 OR go in for the Mi 11 Ultra?
My main interest is in the camera (inc. UWA and Zoom and other features).
I wanted something that will be a huge upgrade over my Pixel2XL.
But looking at the photos, it seems to go back and forth, in spite of having a sensor 5 times the size.

And unfortunately, when looking at the photos from the Mi 11 Ultra I see a lot of over-processing, photo detail has a waxy water painting look at times, which is a great pity. When other OEMs are dialling back the processing it seems Mi 11 Ultra is still rather heavy handed. If you open the photos from this comparison the heavy processing is easy to see (check out the plant boxes from the street scene photos 5, very waxy, heavily sharpened etc.) very similar to iPhone 12 Pro Max which also has heavy processing).

https://gsmonline.pl/artykuly/porownanie-zdjec-xiaomi-mi-11-ultra-iphone-12-pro-max-najlepszy-aparat

I hope one day OEMs will look at the natural look of the RAW photos, and start to get the jpegs to look similar to the RAWs with just some enhancements (bit of HDR where need, NR etc.) not the massive difference we see at present.

Seeing a massive difference depends on both your definition of massive and the brand you choose. I just took three photos with my Sony Xperia 5 II. I can't post the DNG here but the three are camera app, pro photo app JPEG, and pro photo Raw/DNG. The Pro Photo app was set to my usual Program Mode. There were differences between the DNG and the JPEGs but I wouldn't call them massive. Mostly a bit of saturation. --

Patrick T. Kelly,
Oaxaca, Mexico

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow