What is holding Sigma back with the new Merril(s)?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
victorgv
victorgv Senior Member • Posts: 2,012
Re: What is holding Sigma back with the new Merril(s)?

mike earussi wrote:

Tom Schum wrote:

danski0224 wrote:

If/when Sigma releases a 20mp FFF, I have no doubt that it will be comparable to a minimum 60mp Bayer sensor "full frame" camera.

But Sigma already has the fp L, which has a 60mp sensor. If the goal is photographic excellence, my guess is Foveon will be a path left uncompleted, at least for the foreseeable future.

Being old, it looks like the best way for me to get Merrill quality now is to buy myself a fp L.

No matter what Bayer camera you use with x amount of mps you'll never be able to duplicate the 3D look of the Foveon. It isn't about MP it's about the ability of the Foveon to separate subtle adjacent tones the Bayer misses because of it's need to average adjacent pixels to obtain color information.

Pixel Shift can come close but even then your color sensitivity is limited by the fixed color filters Bayer is forced to use.

I compared my Sigma SD15 to my Sony NEX 7 and even though the Sony had a higher resolution it missed the subtle adjacent tonal differences that the SD15 was able to pick up, and it actually made a better looking print because of it.

The Foveon sensor has a lot of limitations compared to Bayer especially in high iso/low noise and better DR, but nothing I've seen so far can beat the Foveon in picking up more color variations. I wish there was something that could because Sigma may never be able to solve the technological problems in making a FFF, at least at a realistic cost.

Subtle variations are more about a weak color separation between layers of silicon versus filters on Bayer sensor. You can make Bayer based sensor be more like Foveon using weak filters  but you probably will get worst of both worlds as a result.....

victorgv's gear list:victorgv's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sigma sd Quattro H
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow