What is holding Sigma back with the new Merril(s)?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
xpatUSA
xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 19,878
Re: What is holding Sigma back with the new Merrill(s)?

Scottelly wrote:

xpatUSA wrote:

Scottelly wrote:

xpatUSA wrote:

Scottelly wrote:

xpatUSA wrote:

D Cox wrote:

A 20 Mpix Foveon is not enough for 24x36mm.

76 lp/mm at the sensor would be good enough for any lens except an Otus mebbe.

Huh? If that was the case, then we wouldn't see any more detail in our photos when we step up from the SD9, SD10, SD14, or SD15 to the SD1 Merrill, but as you know Ted, even when using a zoom lens, like the 17-50mm f2.8 EX OS there is a significant amount of extra detail in those Merrill images.

Huh? How do you measure "detail", Scott?

. . . or were you just joking?

Nope. I realize that numbers other than MP are anathema to your good self - but may I offer, apart from the Otus, the Sigma 65mm DG DN which goes just over 80 lp/mm at f/2.8 and f/4 in the center, which a 20MP full-frame Foveon would almost match and would certainly beat at all other settings or away from the center of the lens.

See for yourself :

https://www.lenstip.com/600.4-Lens_review-Sigma_C_65_mm_f_2_DG_DN_Image_resolution.html

I think at this point you're just being impractical, and shutting your eyes to the obvious Ted.

Gee, thank you, Scott! After all, what would I know about anything?

DP1

dp2 Quattro

Those are crops from these images at Imaging-Resource:

https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/DP1/FULLRES/DP1hSLI100.JPG

https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sigma-dp2-quattro/FULLRES/DP2QhSLI0100H.JPG

Much more detail is visible in the image from the Quattro, as you and anyone else can see.

What's missing from your point is that the DP1 brought closer would render the same amount of detail on the circular slide rule and probably sharper. All you have shown us here is that the Quattro has a higher pixel density.

Ummm . . . isn't that how more detail is captured?

Correct! By getting closer, using a macro lens or an extension, an additional "macro" filter on the lens or an addition reversed lens or a DCR-250 clipped, etc. etc. etc.

I mean that's how they did it with film, right? (i.e. more grains of emulsion in the same square of film)

Yep, I bet 6 ASA was preety detailed, eh?

Nothing like a fair comparison, eh?

Equally fair:

I'll ask again: "How do you measure "detail", Scott?"

I don't, but I can look at two photos and see numbers or letters in one, while not being able to make them out in the other, and that shows me there is more detail in one photo than in the other.

Something tells me you're trying to say something, but I am not "getting" it. Can you just be less cryptic, and come right out and tell me what you're trying to say?

Well, first we would have to agree what "detail" is ...

-- hide signature --

Pedantry is hard work, but someone's gotta do it ...

xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Sigma SD9 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow