What is holding Sigma back with the new Merril(s)?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Johan Borg Veteran Member • Posts: 3,217
Re: What is holding Sigma back with the new Merrill(s)?

Tom Schum wrote:

Scottelly wrote:

I don't, but I can look at two photos and see numbers or letters in one, while not being able to make them out in the other, and that shows me there is more detail in one photo than in the other.

Something tells me you're trying to say something, but I am not "getting" it. Can you just be less cryptic, and come right out and tell me what you're trying to say?

Just jumping in here, to muddy the waters: at the pixel level, the older sensor will likely deliver better color resolution with the same amount of detail. Quattro sacrifices color resolution to increase detail resolution and even when you view Quattro lo-res images the loss of image quality is seen, relative to the older sensor.

This is a problem with Quattro, but whether or not it actually exists is controversial.

It exists, but it's a balancing act where Merrill will give you higher color resolution and Quattro gives you more accurate colors (less noise) within that lower resolution. Combining the two would require bigger pixels, something I hoped for in the announced 20mp full frame sensor.

Johan Borg's gear list:Johan Borg's gear list
Sigma dp2 Quattro Sigma fp Sigma 45mm F2.8 DG DN
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow