Photo/video editing monitor in $500 range?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
OP NeedMorePractice Forum Member • Posts: 51
Re: Photo/video editing monitor in $500 range?

Thank you all for the helpful info.  I ended up going with the BenQ PD3200U.  It was a little over the expected budget, but I'm thrilled so far.

The size is larger than what I needed for photo/video, but honestly with the 4K, the more useable space for administrative tasks is a pleasant surprise (side-by-side Word documents or PDFs, for example).  On my home monitor (about 24" and 1080), it's not nearly as pleasant to try to work with side-by-side situations.

While I don't have color calibration equipment to verify that the "factory calibrated" settings are accurate, I can say for sure that comparing photos and videos on this screen with my old home monitor, previous work monitor, phone, and other screens has demonstrated the color biases and deficiencies of each.  For example, I hadn't realized how much of a yellow tint my phone has (iPhone 12 Mini), but now I can't unsee it, and apparently it's a known problem.  I've verified by comparing with other monitors, as well, and it's not just because I'm comparing it to this new monitor.

The biggest downside to using this PD3200U every day now is that it's bumped up my desire to upgrade my home monitor, which is not in my personal budget any time soon.  So now I have to live with the awareness of how bad it is and how bad my editing is when I have to do so at home...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow