Need translation from Apple language to redneck

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Patrick T. Kelly Veteran Member • Posts: 4,370
Re: No true optical zoom.

Jeff Peterman wrote:

I am not away of any built in phone camera with true optical zoom. Instead, they seamlessly switch from one focal length to another, using digital zoom in between. Misleading: a phone with the equivalent of 30mm and 70mm lenses can give a much cleaner image at 70mm than at 60mm. My phone shows fixed points (e.g., 1x and 5x) corresponding to each lens, but I can select either one and "zoom" to the other.

Me, neither, but the upcoming, just announced, Sony Xperia 1 III and 5 III have a sensor with a movable component that gives two focal lengths.

"Sony has finally announced Xperia 1 III and the Xperia 5 III smartphones. The two flagship smartphones are powered by Snapdragon 888 chipset. Other highlights of the two smartphones include a variable telephoto lens that allows 2.9x and 4.4x optical zoom.

"Both, Xperia 1 III and Xperia 5 III promise fast, accurate continuous autofocus across all lenses and real-time eye autofocus. Sony has not yet revealed the pricing or availability of Xperia 1 III and Xperia 5 III."

https://www.firstpost.com/tech/news-analysis/sony-unveils-xperia-1-iii-xperia-5-iii-with-variable-telephoto-lenses-all-you-need-to-know-9532081.html

-- hide signature --

Patrick T. Kelly
Oaxaca, Mexico

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow