What if FF and APS-C also switch to 4:3 aspect ratio ?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP HDRI Forum Member • Posts: 65
Re: What if FF and APS-C also switch to 4:3 aspect ratio ?

HDRI wrote:

Like smartphones and medium format, any reasons for FF/APS-C not to switch to 4:3 aspect ratio ?

Will there be lot of resistance ? or a technical hurdle ?

I didn't mention the reason for my inclination towards 4:3 (not that it matters as such )

Earlier I always thought 16:9 or 16:10 to be more immersive but if one were to "exhaust" the available width, increasing the height increases the immersiveness.

IOW when width is maximised (as allowed by horizontal FOV) and matched for all formats, 4:3 will be most immersive. Maybe the same reason for which IMAX native is 1.435:1 ?

Though this applies only to large screen or prints IMO, but nevertheless was wondering if digital sensor can or should unify in the aspect ratio (4:3) irrespective of sensor size.

Esp even when the smartphone screens are wider than 16:9 they still chose 4:3 sensors. Need to study the reason..

HDRI's gear list:HDRI's gear list
Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-T100 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon 70-300 F4-5.6 IS II Fujifilm 15-45mm F3.5-5.6 OIS PZ
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Zxx
Zxx
Zxx
Zxx
Zxx
(unknown member)
Zxx
Zxx
MOD Smaug01
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow