What is holding Sigma back with the new Merril(s)?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Lukacs85 Regular Member • Posts: 356
Re: What is holding Sigma back with the new Merril(s)?

I mean competitive that the camera offers something for individual needs that competiton can't. Leica offering the luxury brand with the most minimalist and high-end build quality, only brand offering range-finder camera, but also think Leica somewhat like Sigma, they produce the main profit from another segment.

I think FP-L also competitive, smallest FF body, unique modular design, heatsink for the main profile: video recording. DP series are still competitive, Merrills has unique rendering in small, minimalist body, Quattros has excellent IQ in also minimalis, simple body. However SD Quattro was competitve in 2017 for fraction price of high resoluion Bayer, but now maybe for a very low price or maybe some professional use when Bayer's moiré cause problems, like textile product photography, however you can use pixel shift with Bayer.

I can't imagine a new FF X3 sensor how can be competitive. I expect Bayer reaching the 100MP border on 35mm next 1-2 year, and even A7R4 would be a tough competition in resolution, fine detail, let alone the camera response speed, AF-speed, size, battery, live view quality. I really hope Sigma can make us a surprise, but I have no high expectations. I'd prefer a new DP series with small, simple body for an affordable price.

Other way would be the MF teritory for Sigma, but it's a very niche market, and Sigma a part of L-mount allieance which is definitely 35mm.

Lukacs85's gear list:Lukacs85's gear list
Sigma dp2 Quattro Sony a7 III Samyang AF 75mm F1.8 FE +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow