Panasonic Leica 15mm F1.7 Disappointing Performance

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Cafe Racer Senior Member • Posts: 1,281
Re: Panasonic Leica 15mm F1.7 Disappointing Performance

eest wrote:

Hey all, I've been wanting a fast, compact, wide angle prime for my G7 for a while and settled on the Panasonic Leica 15mm F1.7. After using it for several days, I'm struggling to understand the love that this lens gets. I'm not sure if I received a bad copy but after taking over one hundred shots, I just feel like the lens lacks sharpness and clarity.

I tested it against the Panasonic 14-42mm kit lens and was surprised to see that the kit lens was visibly sharper, even when using the same aperture (see comparison images below - e-shutter and shutter delay were used in all photos).

PL 15mm @ F1.7

PL 15mm @ F3.5

Panasonic 14-42mm kit lens @ F3.5

I'm probably being nitpicky here but I feel that for the premium price this lens commands it should at least be as sharp as the kit lens at comparable apertures.

If you own or owned this lens, what was your experience like? Is this lens suppose to be softer than the kit lens or have I received a bad copy?

I don't think taking photos at a very close working distance in order to compare sharpness of these two lenses is the best way to assess overall performance. I'd suggest taking photos out in the field at close, medium and long/far working distances and comparative apertures, then check the performance across the whole frame of each lens. You may find this reveals more about their resolving power. Under those circumstances I'd be surprised if the 14-42mm produces better results.

Cafe Racer's gear list:Cafe Racer's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Yxa
Yxa
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow