A7C w/FE 70-300mm G, Photographing Soccer In Difficult Bright Backlite Sun

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
DMalcolm Contributing Member • Posts: 615
Re: A7C w/FE 70-300mm G, Photographing Soccer In Difficult Bright Backlite Sun

William Curtindale wrote:

Actually I am pleased with my results of photographing my grandson's soccer game. It was between 5:00 and 6:00 PM with a bright backlit sun. Some comments about my difficulties are as follows (all shots looking through the EVF):

1. In the bright backlite sun I could not see the green focus acquired square.
  2. I could not read my shutter speed or aperture.
  3. I generally had difficulty seeing if I was in focus.

The good was that I had set my focus to AF-C with Spot-L. My shutter was at 1/1000 sec. and aperture at f/5.6. If I could have read my information on the EVF I would have set the shutter a little faster and the aperture at f/8.0. Again, some really good news while in the heat of the activity is the camera made up for my visual deficiencies and gave me some nice images.

My best bet would have to move to the other side of the field but I wanted to sit with on the teams side. The really good is the with some post processing crop the 70-300mm lens was perfect for this activity (all shots from one spot at mid-field).

Nice shots

I find when shooting my sons football, it's good to get facial expressions, so I go further down the line and shoot them coming towards me. Staying low also adds a different dimension too...when my knees can take it! If the sun is behind them, usually I wait to see which half they're playing 1st/2nd to determine which will get better shots, always better with the sun on their faces/to the side.

I went through the a-mount 70-300G with LA-EA3 (not a great combo), e-mount 70-300G and now I'm on to the Sigma 100-400 - I just wanted a bit more reach, more for wildlife though, but it does make a difference on the football field. Can't fault the 70-300 though, liked that lens...couldn't justify keeping it as well though!

-- hide signature --

DMalcolm
Growing kit list in profile....

DMalcolm's gear list:DMalcolm's gear list
Sony a5100 Sony a7 III Tamron 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 Di III VC Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow