Affordable wild life camera combination.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
NikonNature Veteran Member • Posts: 4,506
Re: Affordable wild life camera combination.

jwBobby458 wrote:

Yes, I know this type of question has been asked many times before. So, a thousand apologies for that. But, post-covid, as I am wanting to get walking again, and would also like to plan in an owl photography trip to Finland next year I have been looking into options for an affordable (for me) wildlife set up that would cater for dragonflies to owls and to birds in flight (feathered and metal). I am not averse to buying used kit.

I have long been a fan of bridge cameras and like the Sony RX10iv as a consideration, and an obvious upgrade from the Panasonic FZ200 I currently use for most photography that I do. Two mirrorless options would be the Fuji X-S10 plus new 70-300 lens or Sony A6400 plus 70-350 lens. I would love the 100-400 lens but cost and size would probably be factors that would prevent their purchase. Maximum budget £2000/$2800/e2320.

I would appreciate any thoughts and experiences on my possible choices, or alternative options not considered. Thank you for reading this. Stay safe and well. John

Just make sure you understand 'full frame equivalent' when comparing focal lengths. I believe your FZ200 had a full frame equivalent zoom range of 25-600mm. A 70-300mm on a APC-S sensor camera (like the Sony A6400) would be about 105-450mm. That's a little short for birds. There are some nice shots posted in the replies, but several are larger animals in a zoo setting, so they don't IMO represent typical shooting scenarios.

Also, consider the size you are willing to carry. For the budget you gave, you could get a D500 and Tamron 150-600mm G2.  That would be an excellent combo, but might be bigger than you are looking for. A Z50 with that same Tamron lens might be more manageable. These are Nikon options just because that's what I'm most familiar with. There are similar options from Canon, Sony, Fuji, etc. I just don't know enough about them.

NikonNature's gear list:NikonNature's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow