Canon rumored R7. I'm calling it...

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
palombian Regular Member • Posts: 493
Re: Canon rumored R7. I'm calling it...

John Sheehy wrote:

The rumored R7 and R3 have almost no market overlap, unless the R3 is 83+ MP, but the cost would be prohibitive to many if that was the only way to get the pixel density and intelligent AF.

There is a huge gap in Canon's current offerings: no cameras with good pixel density that have intelligent tracking AF. A 30 or even 45MP R3 will not fill that gap.

Before I bought my R5, I thought that I could make up for the loss of pixels-on-subject that I had with my 90D through an extra 1.4x of tele-conversion, but it turns out the the R5 is highly incompatible with many lenses and TCs, unless you use a Canon lens and only one Canon TC, which gets me nowhere with the R5's huge pixels, and the 400/4DO II, the heaviest lens that I am willing to carry around. I need to use it at 1120/11 to get the quality I had with the 90D at 800/8, but 1120/11 crashes the lens and the IS bangs like a pneumatic power tool. If I turn off IS, it will work with AF for a few seconds before giving a communication error.

I have the M6II with the same 32mp sensor (and as I understand comparable AF) as the 90D and the quality with the 400 DO II + 2xIII is IMO at or over the edge in many situations (as it was already visible on the 20mp 7DII). No surprise stacking an additional 1.4 has the same effect on the R5.

I am afraid there are limits to reach, it is a very good (and still hand-holdable) lens but only a 400mm f:4.

On the 7DII the sharpness on 400mm is amazing, and I have no quality issues with the 1.4III attached most of the time (896mm FF). The reason I will have to use the 2xIII all the time for almost the same reach (800mm) on the R5, and the substantial money layout makes me hesitate if it is only for the better AF.

There are other reasons (atmospheric conditions, location and tracking difficulties,...) why 800-900mm FF is a workable limit.

Also the old dilemma extender vs more cropping I have been confronted with since the old 400 f:5.6 only slides with the quality of the lenses and sensors.

palombian's gear list:palombian's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M100 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5 +26 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow