***This week with your a7x/a9x/a1, April 24th - 30th, 2021***

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
spacejemz Regular Member • Posts: 132
Re: Propeller planes with the new A7 RIV

MicahSYL wrote:

Your shots are all OK, except you really need to ramp up your SS, try faster than 1/1250s for subjects that moves. In day light, you can afford higher ISO up to ISO800 without any grainy effect. The deep DOF will not get you sharper images, it is motion blur you have to deal with. I am sure once you gain the confidence you will shot at even faster SS, probably 1/3200s or higher. Cheers.

MicahSYL, unfortunately when shooting planes with propellers, you really can't ramp up the SS..if you do, you freeze the propellers (like the sample shot I grabbed from Flightaware.com below) which doesn't look natural.  For a good shot, you want 'prop blur' where the propellors are 'spinning'...But thank you as always for your feedback

Here is a shot I got of the same B-29 bomber earlier this year with some better light:

I got this shot yesterday of a Boeing 747 with the SS at 1/2000 and you are correct, the results are much better...

spacejemz's gear list:spacejemz's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow