Your Motorsports shot's 4

Started Mar 2, 2020 | Discussions thread
NicholasD
NicholasD Contributing Member • Posts: 841
REVS Institute

I've not posted on this thread for months because I haven't been to a race in over a year. 2021 will be a welcome change - wish all are well. We were in Naples Florida a few weeks back - a friend mentioned the Revs Institute. I'm glad he did. They advertise as a "working educational institution dedicated to the study, preservation, conservation, and restoration of historically significant automobiles" and it is all that and more.

From a photography standpoint, none of these are great but thought they might be of interest. Flash is not allowed and given the dark walls and funny lighting, it was a challenge. Kind of a tug of war between ISO, depth of field, and shutter speed. A couple of images include before and after with DxO Deep Prime. It's not perfect and some artifacts remain, but it's very effective. All shots were taken with the Sigma 18-35.

This Ferrari 166 was the first Ferrari in the US after winning the Targa Florio in 1948.

Maserati GP car (ISO 20,000)

Same after DxO deep prime and further edits. Time consuming but Deep Prime really helped on some images given lighting conditions.

1958 Vanwall

Same after Deep Prime

Lamborghini either a 350 or 400GT. Struggled with DOF but I really like how the partial desaturation and split tone capture the feel of the car. I've always thought these were super cool looking but this is the first one I've seen.

1939 Mercedes GP engine

Another German 12 cylinder - Porsche 917

If you like any of the above, then Revs is worth a detour.  There is much much more. They limit attendance (must buy tickets in advance) but it is world class, both in cars and documentation.

NicholasD's gear list:NicholasD's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D40 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
dav
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
dav
dav
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow