***This week with your a7x/a9x/a1, April 24th - 30th, 2021***

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
MicahSYL
MicahSYL Senior Member • Posts: 2,500
Re: Propeller planes with the new A7 RIV

spacejemz wrote:

Went to shoot some WWII planes at one of the small local airports in Dallas today...

Realized early on that I couldn't shoot propeller planes with the electronic shutter or the prop gets really bent

Most of the shots were with shutter speed around 1/160 - 1/250 - the B-29 really needed a slower shutter to get good propeller blur...

All of the above shots were on a tripod but I played around with some hand held shots with the 200-600mm lens (and some pretty gustys winds to boot)...here was one of the good ones:

Lighting was pretty terrible overall which I think played a good role in not getting as many keepers as I had hoped for...will keep playing around to see if it gets better though...

Your shots are all OK, except you really need to ramp up your SS, try faster than 1/1250s for subjects that moves.  In day light, you can afford higher ISO up to ISO800 without any grainy effect.  The deep DOF will not get you sharper images, it is motion blur you have to deal with.  I am sure once you gain the confidence you will shot at even faster SS, probably 1/3200s or higher.  Cheers.

-- hide signature --

The wonders in the tapestry of this Universe, demand a Greater Wonder.

MicahSYL's gear list:MicahSYL's gear list
Nikon D5300 Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Sony a7R IV Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow