***This week with your a7x/a9x/a1, April 24th - 30th, 2021***

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
VisionLight
VisionLight Veteran Member • Posts: 5,821
Out today with the Sigma 60-600mm on the A7R IV

This Northern Water Snake watched me intently as I tried to find an opening to point my lens through in the deep thick brush above The Pond where it was sunning. Setting the camera to Manual Focus at the MFD did the trick to get this image:

This water snake seemed to be enjoying watching me trying to take its portrait. I like the way the mid day sunlight bounces off The Pond and reflects on the bottom of the snake.

Looking up through the thick canopy, I saw an osprey fly over and hiked up the hills to see where it was headed. Outside the sanctuary, she had built her nest high at the top of a cell tower. So I waited until she showed her head above the nest and caught her as she took flight for another hunting trip over The Pond:

Mama Osprey takes off from her cell tower nest to go hunting for her young. In order to get through all the branches in the way (the dark shadows in the sky), this was also Manual focus.

When leaving the sanctuary, I stopped to check on the young flowering trees we planted a couple of years ago. New emerging buds are always a good subject for the "macro" feature of the Sigma 60-600mm lens:

Cherry Blossoms don't usually open this early in our local climate, but a hardy few have already made an appearance. I had originally set the lens to its 200mm "macro" position, but had to zoom out a little to improve the composition.

Thanks for looking. Comments or questions are always welcome.

-- hide signature --
 VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Samsung NX1 Canon EOS M5 Sony a7R IV Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow