Camera/Lens upgrade selection

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
MartyMarathon New Member • Posts: 22
Re: Camera/Lens upgrade selection

Been there, done that! Here are my thoughts.

Take a look at the images you have taken outdoors at night so you know the shutter speed, aperture, ISO, and focal length that most of your images were taken at. It will help you decide the issues you are dealing with. Look at the details tab in the image properties or it probably shows in the software you are using for post processing.

Learn to shoot manual or manual with auto ISO. It helps to know when shooting what is limiting you. It also allows you to create an exposure that best suits the players on the field and not necessarily the overall dark scene. It takes a little practice but it is well worth it in the long run. You might find you can get a better useable exposure shooting manual.

As an example the football images I shot at a local field this year I shot at 1/1000 at f2.8 with an ISO of 6400. If you have to shoot at f5.6 with your lens the settings would be 1/250 at f5.6 at ISO 6400. 1/250 might be a little slow to capture moving players without blur. If you shoot manually you could still shoot at 1/1000 at f5.6 at ISO 6400, the images would be underexposed but you might find you can save them in post processing. Not the best solution but it might allow you to get usable images. Shooting in one of the programmed modes will not allow you to do this.

Try using back button focus. Search the internet for how to set it on the D5200. It assigns a button on the back of the camera to focus and removes it from the shutter release. You have to remember to keep the button depressed while shooting but can be useful in some shooting situations. If you don't use back button focus be sure you have the shutter release partially depressed while tracking your subjects. Don't "punch" the shutter.

Be certain the camera is set to release priority so the camera will fire even if the image is not in focus. It is the best setting for sports. I am not sure where that setting is on the D5200.

If you are looking to upgrade your lens and are going to consider outdoors sports at night I would consider a 70-200 f2.8. On a DX crop sensor it will give you the equivalent of about 105-300, not as much reach on the DX as your 55-300 but has a constant f2.8 aperture. Going longer than 200 at f2.8 gets into pricy glass.

If you are considering a camera upgrade the D500 is a great choice but the mirrorless Z50 might also be a good choice. They will do 10 and 11 frames per second which is useful. The high ISO performance on either camera would be much better than the D5200. The D500 will use your existing lenses the Z50 will need the FTZ adapter to use your existing lenses. The D500 has great focusing but I think the Z50 will also provide adequate focusing.

Going to a full frame camera provides better high ISO performance over a DX sensor but you would not be able to use your existing lenses without restrictions. The D780 would be a good DSLR or the mirrorless Z6 or Z6ii would work well but you would be needing new lenses.

Don't hesitate to give manual settings a try, I believe your shooting success will improve.

Good luck with your "grandpa" shooting, there's nothing better!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow