Well-engineered camera with a superbly smooth shutter

Started 5 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
47872Mike Regular Member • Posts: 210
Well-engineered camera with a superbly smooth shutter

I bought this in 2018 and hoped it would be the best camera I'd ever owned (and I've owned a lot of cameras; no, a LOT of cameras).

It is well-designed and very well-engineered, with that incredible quiet shutter which finally banishes shutter shock completely. I don't like the stiff feel of the control dials very much, and though I can use the EVF and don't see the smearing it's sequential read-out can cause, it's small and looks terrible after using the one in the E-M10ii, or most modern cameras. But in general it's a success, except that:
I just don't quite like the results as much as I do from Canon or Olympus. Out of the box the files I got seemed just a little disappointing compared with what I can get with the standard settings of Canon and Olympus. Tweaking the JPEG profiles or RAW files helps, and the output is a little better than what I used to get from Panasonic in the early days of M4/3 - just not by as much as I hoped. 
There is a lot to like about this camera, particularly for scenic photography in decent light. I am still using it, for some stuff at least, after 2 1/2 years. But if it had somehow had Olympus's quality of output, control dials, and EVF, I think it really would have overall been the best camera I've ever owned.

47872Mike's gear list:47872Mike's gear list
Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 50D Sony SLT-A37 Canon EOS 6D +13 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 (Lumix DMC-GX80 / Lumix DMC-GX7 Mark II)
16 megapixels • 3 screen • Four Thirds sensor
Announced: Apr 5, 2016
47872Mike's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
acceptable
Action / sports
mediocre
Landscapes / scenery
good
Portraits
mediocre
Low light (without flash)
mediocre
Flash photography (social)
unrated
Studio / still life
acceptable
= community average
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow