Canon FD adapter: K&F issues

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Sittatunga Senior Member • Posts: 3,024
Re: The de-facto preset aperture adapter

farmer35 wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Sittatunga wrote:

Aoi Usagi wrote:

FD adapters seem to have the most issues. The lock - open switch is very confusing for new users. Be sure to mount the lens with the "Lock" text aligned to the red index dot on the lens. This is true for both breech lock and FDn bayonet hybrid mount. Once mounted, turn the Lock-Open ring towards "Lock". The "open" text should now be somewhat lined up to the red dot (breech mount), as shown below.

Other issues may be that some third party lenses have slightly longer or thicker stop down levers making it bind.

This is a photo of the adapter in the correct position have it has been properly mounted.

That photo is a little confusing, I hope this one is clearer. The markings on the adapter are really confusing as the arrows would have been better placed outside the words rather than being a double headed arrow between them.

The stop down lever (3) moves to the right as seen from the camera end to stop the lens down. That means you have to rotate the control ring fully clockwise (in the direction of the arrow pointing to the word OPEN) before you mount the lens so that the internal prong can push lever (3) in the right direction. Once the lens is mounted you turn the ring fully anti-clockwise (in the direction of the arrow pointing to the word LOCK) to stop the lens down. Simple, except that it puts the word OPEN nearest the focus index when it's stopped down and the word LOCK nearest it when it's unlocked to allow you to engage the mechanism when mounting the lens.

Agreed, always has been confusing but the secret to understanding is that if the aperture operating lever or rod can be identified in the lens cavity then the operating rod in the adapter must be on the correct side of the lens aperture lever when mounting. This can be noted before the parts are brought together. Once components are joined the adapter is then moved into the operational position.

It is possible to mount the lens correctly on an adapter where the actual adapter “hook” is fixed as in the Ciecio7* Polish adapter and this has two red dots - one to start the mount process and the other to push the parts together. You don’t even need the dots and if the lens is first presented slightly to the clockwise right of the mating dot on the lens before rotating to the mount position it will hook the aperture actuating lever up quite easily in any case.

A side benefit of the rotating aperture hook in FD adapters is that it can operate like a preset mechanism. When active it allows the final aperture to be set - made inactive the lens is wide open and more precise point of focus can be set (with more light) then rotate back to the known preset aperture for the shot.

* now “C7” apparently - I am glad because I have always found it hard to remember the spelling.

What is simple for one person to remember is not necessarily so for another. Here is the way I do it: I set the open-lock switch one way, mount the lens on the adapter, and then turn the switch the other way after the lens is mounted. If the aperture opens and closes when I turn the aperture ring, I'm good to go. If the aperture doesn't change when I turn the aperture ring, I take the adapter off and do it again, this time reversing the way I had the switch to begin.

I have 3 or 4 FD mount lenses and 2 or 3 FD adapters. None of them are lenses I use regularly so I don't switch adapters very often. If I did it regularly I would probably remember which way to go but I don't.

I did say the labelling was really confusing.  I'll point out the sarcasm next time I use it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow