Whats lenses to take to Egypt?

Started 2 weeks ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mfuhlendorf
mfuhlendorf Forum Member • Posts: 83
Whats lenses to take to Egypt?

Hey guys,

I want opinions! I'll be going to Egypt for the first time next week, and I'm super excited. I want to travel super light, as many cities are in the itinerary: Cairo, Luxor, Aswan, Qena, Hurghada, Alexandria...

I will take only my GX-85 with 4 spare batteries, a mini tripods, polarizers and some lenses. I might take also my Olympus E-PM2 converted do infrared, not sure yet. My current lens list is this:

• Samyang 7.5mm f3.5 fisheye
  • Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8
  • Panasonic 20mm f1.7
  • Olympus 75-300mm f4.8-6.7 II

I would love to take lenses for all occasions but I want to carry as little as possible for maximum flexibility. Other options in the lenses I own include:

• Super wide: SLR Magic 8mm f4, Meike 6.5mm f2; Olympus 8mm f8 fisheye cap;
  • Standard zooms: Panasonic 12-32mm f3.5-5.6, Olympus 14-42mm f3.5-5.6;
  • Wide aperture: Olympus 25mm f1.8, Olympus 45mm f1.8, SLR Magic 12mm t1.6;
  • Tele zoom: Olympus 40-150mm f4-5.6 R;
  • Macro: Olympus 60mm f2.8;

So, I can't take it all. I want to have the most flexibility and lowest weight. Best cost-benefit in weight vs flexibility, I might say. I'm mostly torn between the wide aperture options, on whether to take the 75-300 or the 40-150 plastic Oly, on choosing the 7.5mm fisheye vs the 8mm rectilinear lens, and on whether taking the macro too is a good idea.

If you have been there, what do you think? Is the 300mm necessary, or 150mm is enough for details of the huge monuments and perspective compression shots? Is the macro useful? Fisheye or extreme wide 8mm (wish I had a wide zoom, would be perfect)? Is the infrared body worth it?

Any other tips for the trip itself as a hobbyist photographer?

Cheers,

mfuhlendorf's gear list:mfuhlendorf's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Olympus PEN E-PL2 +16 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Olympus PEN E-PM2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow