How much do the two memory slot cards have to match?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
MartyMarathon New Member • Posts: 22
Re: How much do the two memory slot cards have to match?

I believe the reason that one card is CFE/XQD and one is SD is because the Z series is not considered a professional camera. The D5 and D6 have dual XQD/CFE card slots. SD cards are much less expensive than CFE/XQD so probably a better option for most consumers.

The videos are not backed up to the secondary card only the still images can be.

Nikon recommends a maximum data transfer rate of 250MB/s for some video. (see below) What I noticed when doing a little research is that the write speed is less than the read speeds for most cards. Most CFExpress cards and XQD cards label the write speeds on the card but no SD cards I have found label the write speed. The 300MB/s SanDisk Extreme Pro cards I have only have a write speed of 90MB/s.

I did some very unscientific tests to see how the my Z6ii performed shooting to CFE, XQD, and SD cards.

Shooting RAW still images to the CFExpress (write 1200MB/s) card only I could shoot 152 images before the FPS slowed and all images were written to the CFE card in 24 seconds. About 12 seconds of shooting and buffer cleared about 12 seconds after last image.

Shooting RAW still images to the XQD (write 400MB/s) card only I could shoot 111 images before FPS slowed and all images were written to the XQD card in 21 seconds. About 9 seconds of shooting and buffer cleared about 12 seconds after last image.

Shooting RAW still images to the SD card (write 90MB/s) card only I could shoot 86 images until the FPS slowed and all images were written to the SD card in 31 seconds. About 7 seconds of shooting and buffer cleared about 24 seconds after last image.

Shooting RAW still images to the CFE card and backing up to the SD card I could shoot 80 images until the FPS slowed and all images were written to the cards in 40 seconds. About 6 seconds of shooting and buffer cleared about 34 seconds after last image.

Shooting RAW+JPEG fine images to the CFE card and backing up to the SD card I could shoot 68 images before the FPS slowed and all images were written to the card in 55 seconds.  About 5 seconds of shooting and buffer cleared about 50 seconds after last image.

I did this for my shooting. I shoot a lot of sports and I traditionally shoot RAW+JPEG fine and backup to the second card. It cuts my burst time in half and quadruples the time after the last image for the buffer to clear.

From the Z6ii manual.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow