Stick with MFT or move on to FF?

Started 3 weeks ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
disguisedrobot Forum Member • Posts: 57
Stick with MFT or move on to FF?

Hello all. I just want a bit of pick everyone’s brain a bit on whether to stick with MFT (m43?) or move on to FF. Here’s a bit of background first:

I’ve been using MFT for 12 years now; you can see my full kit listed below. Last year my GX8 LCD suddenly died, which I had replaced by Panasonic for about $300 because it was cheaper than replacing the body with a 2nd hand one. Now, just over a year later the LCD screen has died AGAIN with the exact same problem as before. Sigh.

The screen is completely black but touch capability is still there. I was planning on trying to figure out the problem by trying to take it apart myself but recently one of the LCD hinge covers snapped off, leaving the ribbon exposed to the elements. I currently have electrical tape covering it up, unsure if it’s even worth fiddling with since I wouldn’t know what I’m doing.

The screen is completely black but touch capability is still there. I was planning on trying to figure out the problem by trying to take it apart myself but recently one of the LCD hinge covers snapped off, leaving the ribbon exposed to the elements. I currently have electrical tape covering it up, unsure if it’s even worth fiddling with since I wouldn’t know what I’m doing. I don’t fancy paying another $300 to repair the LCD again so I’m going to tough it out for the time being. It’s been such a pain without it though. Instead of replacing the LCD, I’m wondering if it’s worth taking this opportunity to move onto full frame.

I do really like the size, weight and reach of micro four thirds for my lifestyle, which is based around hiking, cycling touring, snowboarding (I’m guessing that 70%+ of my photos from the last few years have been from these) and some travel. I basically take it everywhere with me, from gigs to bars to dinners to weddings.

One of the reasons I’m contemplating this switch over is because I want better lowlight and autofocus performance. I take my camera out snowboarding a lot but when it’s snowing or cloudy (happens quite often where I am) the camera struggles to give me good enough hit rates or non-blurry images at ISO levels are aren’t too high. I know my lenses are really slow, which doesn’t help. I haven’t bought any faster lenses because I don’t want to make further investments when I’m not certain if I’ll be sticking with MFT.

I’ve noticed that even when the lighting is good, random shots aren’t tack sharp (I have the firmware update that enables auto e-shutter to prevent shutter shock) after I come home and view them on my monitor. As a result, to compensate, I take multiple shots just in case it happens again. The annoying thing is that it takes forever when it comes time to culling photos later.

I’ve been looking into getting a bigger sensor camera for a couple of years now. The bodies are a bit more expensive than brand new models of MFTs but offer more in ISO, dynamic range performance etc so it’s been tempting to jump over. The biggest thing holding me back is the cost and time it’s going to take to replace all of my glass. The other obvious negatives are the size and weight of everything.

I’ve only ever used micro four thirds so I’m hoping that by discussing it with people with more expertise and experience would help me decide on what to do. What’re all your thoughts?

disguisedrobot's gear list:disguisedrobot's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow