Tripod advice please!

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
noisebeam Senior Member • Posts: 2,945
Re: Tripod advice please!

Jeff DLB wrote:

oksooner wrote:

I found the Gitzo GT2545T Traveler 2 with ball head kit at B&H for $630. If anyone has any advice as to this tripod and ballhead kit I'd really appreciate it. I'd like to think I'm a serious nature photographer but the truth is I'm more of weekend warrior at best. I am going in July to car camp at the Grand Canyon looking for storms and hope I can do more of this kind of thing. I can't imagine I'd ever use this setup for anything more than a 300mm 2.8. Thanks.

My advice - possibly unwelcome - is not to spend more than $100 on a tripod, and keep the rest of the money for either travel or a new lens!

Years ago I got a Silk Pro 700DX w/pan&tilt.  It is about 7lbs w/head and it could be carried from car camp area to rim and along it, but it does feel bulky/heavy.  I throw it in the back of truck whenever traveling.

I am perhaps less serious than oksooner, but use it often and it still holds position solid.  I have no idea where it fall in the quality range of inexpensive tripods, but it has never let me down even with 1200mm equivalent telescope which was the main reason I got it.  I keep the center post fully retracted.  For lightweight backpacking/hiking I supplement with an inexpensive mini tripod (12" height) which requires improvising (attach to tree, on rocks, etc.) which can be limiting and also only good with shorter lenses.

I'm glad I put more into lenses than the tripod.

noisebeam's gear list:noisebeam's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow