RF 14-21 f/1.4L, 12-20 f/2L?

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
RLight Senior Member • Posts: 3,030
RF 14-21 f/1.4L, 12-20 f/2L?

https://www.canonnews.com/canon-patent-application-canon-rf-14-21-14

Old news, but any thoughts? There's been no word of this guy lately, or, the 70-135 f/2L either... Both are interesting offerings in my book.

Can anyone tell me just how big this lens should be, or weigh? Normally I can estimate this from other companies offerings, however, this is a unique lens much like the famous 28-70 f/2L.

I'm kicking around the idea of the 15-35 f/2.8L, but, I know it's a matter of time before I switch to an IBIS body, how long is the question, but, it makes the IS less necessary... That said I'm unsure that I need f/1.4 or f/2 at those focal lengths. Would be nice though for indoor / low light usage though which I'm guilty on both counts.

Some food for thought: how effective is combined IS? Neither of these lenses will have lens-IS, but the 15-35 f/2.8 does. I never made much of it, but, I wonder how many stops of IS the 15-35 f/2.8 has with the R5/6? There's gotta be a chart somewhere...

Edit: found it, 7-stops. But, that's at 35mm... Hmmm, wonder what it is at 15mm? Doesn't seem to be a stat for that.

Really begs the question, at least on my end, do I really need f/1.4 for wide angle? Even if said RF 14-21 f/1.4 wonder-lens was made of duranium and transparent aluminum and thus weighed 500g (Star Trek joke), this thing is probably in all likelihood around 1500g and the size of somewhere between an RF 24-70 f/2.8 and RF 28-70 f/2 if I had to guess, both of which are do-able, but likely costs 4K. Do I need it? It's sorta like the conversation about the R3, do you need it or is the R5/6 good enough / better for ones needs?

RLight's gear list:RLight's gear list
Canon G1 X III Canon EOS R Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow