Very unique and capable lens

Started 2 months ago | User reviews thread
OP Lee Baby Simms Contributing Member • Posts: 929
Re: Compared to the 1.4 and 1.8

Great question. Yes, if you have heavy backlighting (a common wedding shooting technique) you'll see it on the EF 85L 1.4

By comparison, the same backlit shot with a 135L wide open won't yield any purple fringe (sometimes a little green fringe, but it's far less noticeable).

The old EF 85's were horrible with purple fringe. The 1.2 and 1.8USM models couldn't be shot below ƒ2.8 without seeing it. The newer 1.4 L was an improvement, but it's still there. So far (knock on wood) I have not seen any fringing on the 85 Macro. But, the season's just getting started — lol.

I have no interest in carrying either of the ginormous RF 1.2 85's so this is good as an 85 as I'll get in the RF era.

thunder storm wrote:

Lee Baby Simms wrote:

We have two copies of the EF 85 1.4 IS and previously owned two copies of the EF 85 1.8 USM.

Regarding IQ ... compared to the 1.4 ... the new 85 was a tad less contrast, but MUCH less purple fringe (yay).

Is this also the case having the EF f/1.4 L stopped down at f/2.0 or f/2.2?

The Macro's a far easier lens to live with. So light, it's a joy to juggle in a day's shooting.

Compared to the old 1.8 ... well, there's no much comparison really. The new lens is in a different league optically, but lacks the old USM's lens whip-snap AF

-- hide signature --

Wedding Photographer in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado
Every great photograph was taken with a camera worse than yours

Lee Baby Simms's gear list:Lee Baby Simms's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow