Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Adrian Harris
Adrian Harris Veteran Member • Posts: 6,517
Panasonic GX8 'Kerchunk''.

Panasonic GX8 'Kerchunk''.
A cautionary tale.

Although primarily an em1-mk2 user I still frequently use my GX8 for walk-around or non critical photography applications (It's also lighter and I love tilting EVF.).

But ever since my GX8 returned from having its misaligned sensor fixed (many years ago) it has frequently shook a small amount and made a soft 'kerchunk' sound when taking pictures.

I tried stabilisation on and off and even different lenses, shutter speeds and f stops, plus I have always used the electronic shutter, but never got to the bottom of the cause. Until ...

Yesterday sat quietly waiting for a coffee to arrive I was messing around trying different ISO's, F stops and shutter speeds to see if I could consistently achieve sharper images when the Olympus 75-300 mk2 was attached.

Finally I thought I would try the mechanical shutter and could only vaguely remember how to turn it on - or so I thought!

On my old GX7 it was the bottom left button, but pressing that on the GX8 activated nothing and I was sure I remembered correctly from when in the distant past I had used the camera with flash?

Fortunately I still keep all my camera user manuals on my phone and as the coffee still hadn't arrived I decided to look up how to activate either electronic or manual shutter (talk about being a beginner). Trying to find it I came across 'silent mode' - which I have never activated, but thought let's have a play. And to my surprise it was switched on. It must have returned from the servicing centre with it enabled and I was not aware.

Switching OFF silent mode allowed the bottom left electronic/mechanical button to function once more - and - most importantly, now switched to 'electronic', the 'kerchunk' and camera shake vanished for good!

Well I just thought I would warn everyone. Never to old to learn.

-- hide signature --
 Adrian Harris's gear list:Adrian Harris's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sony SLT-A77 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +1 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow