Sony restricting the 3rd party lenses?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
DMalcolm Contributing Member • Posts: 615
Re: Sony restricting the 3rd party lenses?

Calphate wrote:

You put a Sony lens on a tripod, nothing happens, the image is very stable

You put a Sigma 100-400 on a tripod then the image will drift constantly. If you take a long exposure it's gonna be blurred. You MUST turn off the stabilization on the Sigma 100-400

The Sigma interprets the Earth's rotation as the camera shaking and tries to fight it, but they shouldn't, because everything is rotating with the Earth together

The camera body is able to tell that it's sitting on a tripod so they'll stop fighting the Earth rotation, so nothing happens. This also applied to all the 3rd party lenses that don't have stabilization at all since they can't fight the rotation anyway. Sigma 100-400 is the only lens that I've tested so far that has this issue.

I've never tested Tarmon 17-70 (which also has stabilization) so I don't know whether they have the same issue or not. Somebody should find out.

Why do you expect IS to work on a tripod when Sigma say in the manual, do not use IS on a tripod?

-- hide signature --

DMalcolm
Growing kit list in profile....

DMalcolm's gear list:DMalcolm's gear list
Sony a5100 Sony a7 III Tamron 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 Di III VC Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow