Is this normal for professional photographers?

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
cowsgonemadd3 New Member • Posts: 5
Is this normal for professional photographers?

I work for a company in marketing. My employer hired a local marketing firm that does pro photography to help us with a photo shoot. He did a great job that day and had 4 people on his crew that either shot photos or helped. One guy on his staff had his own wedding photography business.

It was an all day shoot at 2 locations. We had 6-8 models hired as well. I then found out some news I have been unable to take easily.

The contract for the shoot that we paid 14k for, was for only 25 pictures and 5 video clips edited that are 15-30 seconds long.

All other pictures and video clips will be archived at the marketing firm for us to go to them to choose others and they will "prepare" or edit them for web use at a rate of likely $150 per hour.

This seems like an extreme rip off and I feel my employer is being taken advantage of here. He seems to just be ok with it where I feel bitter. I care a lot for the company I work for and want to see it successful but we can't give raises if we keep getting taken if you will.

Am I off base here? Is this how pro photographers operate? I was told I would get B roll video footage to make my own marketing clips, I get none of that. I was hoping to get a lot of pictures and we got 28 in total and it did not even showcase all of the products we shot.

We are ordering 50 more pictures but I know they will cost us a lot. I feel like we are being treated like a cash cow all while being told by the marketing company they care to see us grow.

Help me understand this.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow