Your take on dynamic range and HDR?

Started 3 weeks ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Bender79ita
Bender79ita Contributing Member • Posts: 597
Your take on dynamic range and HDR?

I often find myself discussing with other photographers. I like to reproduce in the picture the scene that I'm seeing in front of my eyes, as realistic as possible.

Since the human vision is supposed to have around 14 stops of dynamic range, when I have an high contrast scene I try to provide a faithful (and noiseless) reproduction of the subject.

What I do is take notes of what my eye can see (and can't see) on my phone so I can edit the photo (or photos) with the best possible fidelity to  what it actually looked like. This isn't a error-free process by any means, but I think I got the hang of it by now.

What the other photographers claim is that the image should look like SOOC, because "HDR is phony and unnatural".

I think a picture of a window where I can't see the interiors of the house I'm in looks unnatural (I could see the interiors of the house if I was there).

I chose this picture as example. When I was visiting this sanctuary, I could see inside the porch and outside it. A single exposure could not show it correctly.

In this picture I could clearly see the building, the details on the road, but I could not see inside the bushes, so I edited it following my notes:

What is your opinion on the matter? Try to reproduce as close as possible to the human vision, or accept the limits of normal exposures even if that means the final image won't be close to the scene that was presented to you?

Bender79ita's gear list:Bender79ita's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D810 Nikon D5600 Sony a6400 Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +8 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow