Using X-T3 to Calibrate an Old Film Camera Meter?

Started 2 weeks ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dark13star
dark13star Senior Member • Posts: 1,939
Using X-T3 to Calibrate an Old Film Camera Meter?

I've decided to clean up my old Nikkormat and shoot some film. The cool thing is that this is the camera that took my childhood photos and then my father gave it to me to take photography courses in high school and college in the 80s. It is the camera I learned photography with. I haven't used it since then, but it has cleaned up nicely and the light meter is working with a battery of the proper voltage (Weins Cell).

Before I put some film in it and take some bracketed shots for testing, I want to get a good starting point for the light meter. I can't find my old handheld meter, so I tried and iPhone app and it showed the camera meter to be way off. Instead, I am using my X-T3 and the Nikon consistently meters 1/2-2/3 of a stop below the Fuji, more towards 2/3. I'm using center-weighted on the X-T3, since the Nikon has a 60/40 circle meter.

To me, this seems about right, given discussions of Fuji's ISO ratings here in the past. I'm actually thinking of setting the ASA slider on the Nikon to calibrate to a full stop against the Fuji, since film likes to be exposed for highlights (using color to test, but will mostly shoot B&W).

Anyone else ever test your Fuji's meter against a film camera? If so, do my readings seem about right?

Many thanks. Here's a shot of the camera with the 50 f/2 pre-AI lens.

Rich

-- hide signature --

"I would be an historian as Herodotus was." -Charles Olson
http://photos.herodot.us

dark13star's gear list:dark13star's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus TG-5 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T3 +12 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow