Sony restricting the 3rd party lenses?

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Calphate
Calphate Junior Member • Posts: 43
Sony restricting the 3rd party lenses?

So after seeing the debut of the Tamron 150-500 I just want to share some of my experience with the 3rd party lenses.

I tried a lot of them including Tamron 70-180 and Sigma 100-400. Unfortunately the AF is never as good as a Sony lens. My feeling is that it's not Tamron/Sigma using lame motors but rather Sony didn't tell them everything about the protocol. They are very fast for a single shot but fall apart when you're tracking something fast in the burst mode. Sony did restrict 3rd party lenses's burst rate on A9/A1 so I wouldn't be too surprised if that's indeed the case.

It's generally OK for everyday uses. When my boy is running around the performance drops quite a bit compared to a Sony lens but you can still get a lot of nice photos so I'm OK with my Tamron 17-28 and Sigma 56F1.4. But when things get serious, e.g. birds in flight, both the Tamron 70-180 and the Sigma 100-400 are extremely frustrating. Nowhere near the performance of a Sony 100-400GM which can easily handle the situation.

Funny thing is that Sigma 100-400 can't even detect the tripod. The image just drifts due to the Earth's rotation. The body should be able to provide such information (which is the case for Sony lenses) but clearly Sigma didn't get the memo. So yeah my tin foil hat tells me there is something wrong here. What I'm afraid of is that we may never get a 3rd party cheap telephoto lens that's truly capable...

-- hide signature --
 Calphate's gear list:Calphate's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VII Sony a7R III Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow