A bit bewildered choosing a 100-400mm for Canon and Sony

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Max5150 Contributing Member • Posts: 650
A bit bewildered choosing a 100-400mm for Canon and Sony

I have a Canon 1DX that I use mostly for sports (I just like the look of the pictures), a Sony A7iii, and a A6600. I'd like to get a 100-400 for the Canon to use for field sports and was hoping to use it on the Sony with the MC-11 adapter. Also, if I ever get a Canon mirrorless R6/R5 I'd use it with that too.

First, I've read about the Sigma vs the Tamron for the Canon and they seem pretty close. $700 or $800 seems like a steal. However, since I also want to use it on my A7iii, I assume the Tamron in Canon EF mount is not adaptable to Sony E (and have no idea about Canon RF adaptability.

Mostly, I'm confused by Sigma's terminology with their 100-400 offering's. What is the difference between the Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS (Sony E / L Mount); and the Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary (Canon EF / Nikon F Mount) ? Are they the same lens with different mounts, or is there more of a difference?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow