DataColor Spyder 3/5 Pro vs ColorMunki Photo

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
madbrain Regular Member • Posts: 129
DataColor Spyder 3/5 Pro vs ColorMunki Photo

For years, I have been using Spyder 3 Pro and Spyder 5 Pro to calibrate my displays. There was never much difference between the profiles generated by either the old 3 or newer 5 sensor. The difference was noticeable for 2 out of the 3 displays (identical LG32UD59-B) and almost nothing for the third (Asus PB238Q, calibrated to sRGB at factory).

I have gotten a little into printing, and bought a used ColorMunki Photo, which I received today and am using with the i1 studio software.

I just calibrated one of the LG 32UD59-B  display using the Colormunki at the default settings for Photo, which are DCI P3, white point D65, luminance 120 cd/m², and tone response curve of 2.20. The profile looks much brighter with X-Rite, and completely different from the ones from generated by the either of the Spyders. In Spyder 5 Pro, I used Gamma 2.2, White point 6500K, brightness 120 to generate the ICC, which should be identical settings to the ones from Spyder5 Pro. Generally, using the darker Spyder 5 display profile in the past , I had to make brightness adjustments to the picture at print time. The prints always looked darker than on the monitor. Now, with the brighter X-Rite profile, I would have to make even more brightness adjustments ! So this is going in the wrong direction, and making me think there is something wrong with the ColorMunki.

I also tried to profile my plain Xerox paper with both my Brother MFC-L8850CDW laser printer using noname 3rd party toner, and my Canon Pro 100 using older Precision Color Ink set. There were noticeable improvements in the color for prints on either one. I didn't evaluate for brightness yet. But I don't think the used ColorMunki I got is outright defective.

Can someone explain the massive difference between the different display profiles from DataColor and X-Rite ? Is there alternate software I should use with it ?

Also, I would like to calibrate the scanner built in to my MFC-L8850CW all-in-one. What's the least expensive color target I can buy for this ? Or can I just print my own target once the printer is calibrated, if I ever get my prints and displays to match  ?

madbrain's gear list:madbrain's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro +9 more
Canon Pixma Pro-100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow