35mm f1.4 GM . . . Aperture Ring Issue

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Charles Hull Contributing Member • Posts: 753
35mm f1.4 GM . . . Aperture Ring Issue

I just received the 35mm f1.4 GM yesterday and am very pleased with it's performance so far.  But I have an issue with the aperture ring.  When it is turned the aperture setting changes as expected, but now and then shutter speed will change as well (and randomly).  This happens in the M (manual) shooting mode, and is a bug or defect, the shutter speed should not change.

The aperture ring works okay in the A (aperture priority) shooting mode, and here the shutter speed is adjusted correctly to maintain the correct exposure.  Finally if I set the ring to the locked A position the camera will control the aperture setting normally.  But unfortunately I almost always shoot in the M mode and would really like aperture ring to function correctly.

I've tried removing and attaching the lens several times, and I've cleaned the contacts, but with no help.  This is with an A1 camera, but has the same issue with my a7S III camera.

Are there any suggestions?  Has anyone else see this, on the 35mm or other GM lenses that have the aperture ring?  I hate to return the lens since they are still in short supply.

Sony a1 Sony a7S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow