Samyang 35/1.8 lens switch fault

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ahaslett
ahaslett Veteran Member • Posts: 7,937
Samyang 35/1.8 lens switch fault

Thought I'd post a heads-up for anyone who is buying this lens, to test the mode switch in case you get the same fault as mine.  There are no other reports of this fault, so it's probably rare.

Bought this as a light, fairly fast and decent 35mm FE.  The optical performance is as per reviews and perfect for what I want.  Lives up to Samyang's reputation for decent IQ on a budget.

In general the build quality is typical of Samyang:

- rear lens cap is large and ill-fitting, so replaced immediately with a generic.

- front lens cap is adequate but easy to mismount, not bad enough to replace.

- hood is a bit of a sloppy fit - bit loose mounted backwards on the first copy and forwards on the second.  Not as bad as a Loxia 21/2.8 with the infamous jumping Zeiss hood.

The mode switch on the first one worked fine until switched back to mode 1 (MF).  It stuck in mode 2 (Aperture), wherever it was placed. I felt the innards give way on first operation.

All the rest of the build is fine, for example the ring operates smoothly and MF is no problem.  EyeAF is swift on an A7Riv.

If the second copy performs as well as the first, I'm going to be very happy.

Andrew

-- hide signature --

Infinite are the arguments of mages. Truth is a jewel with many facets. Ursula K LeGuin
Please feel free to edit any images that I post

ahaslett's gear list:ahaslett's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +28 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow