Help choose new camera, D780, Z6II, etc.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Anton N New Member • Posts: 2
Re: Help choose new camera, D780, Z6II, etc.

Mark Sloe wrote:

Anton N wrote:

Hello members of DP Review,

I am using for a while my wife camera (Nikon d5200) and love photography.

It's time to get my own camera and I don't have a lot of experience with other cameras and differences with Nikon vs Canon vs Sony vs etc.

Right now looking for mostly Nikon D780. Not sure if there any sense go with mirrorless, what I read from other threads, Nikon doesn't have good fundaments to the mirrorless camera.

Camera going to use in traveling, event photoshoot and landscape.

Budget not above ~$5000 (body + lens(es)) and will have this camera for next 5-8 years.

Thanks,

Anton

i am sure d780 is a fine camera but besides an optical viewfinder preference i don't think it can do anything the z6ii cannot. by investing into fx lenses you will be investing into a dying system and depreciation will take heavy toll in the next 5-8 years. on the other hand, used fx lenses will be cheaper to acquire with passing years. the d780 may suffer from banding in heavy shadows recovery, an issue which was fixed in z6ii.

with the second generation of z bodies nikon pretty much closed the gap on competition in the mirrorless world and they offer a solid system which is enjoyed by many pros, so it is unlikely it will leave you wanting for more. z lenses in general are excellent, compare well against competition and mostly outperform their fx counterparts.

for your needs any current full frame system (nikon z, panasonic l, sony fe, canon rf) will give a great service. we are spoiled for choice these days and it comes down to preferences in ergonomics, size and lenses rather than paper spec sheet.

do you know which lenses you want? would you consider crop sensor options?

Thank you for reply. I am not sure about lenses yet. I never heard about crop sensor one, I need do some research. For first set of lenses I thought to search for a very good one what using usually for events or travel and after that moving more to portrait/landscape ones. Do you think Nikon mirrorless more mature now? What about viewfinder, it's still make sense to use viewfinder with z6II or better just use display?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow