Anyone going to stick an AirTag on their camera?

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 8,203
Anyone going to stick an AirTag on their camera?

I realize that using BT they aren't exactly LowJacks, and that we don't misplace our cameras like our keys (that's why I got a FF instead of a M43: so it wouldn't disappear in the sofa cushions  ).

But hey, if you did leave it in a restaurant and there were BT users nearby (certainly) then maybe helpful.

But perhaps more importantly it begs the question of why camera manufacturers don't do more to prevent theft. I realize they probably won't implement Find My network capability even though they have BT in new cameras (licensing fee to Apple? I know you have to get certified for MFi), but why not a simple passcode or touch id? Every burner phone has that.

So hey, maybe we can do a Kickstarter for camera straps with hidden pockets for anti-theft devices like GPS trackers with cellular. They are small enough, cheap enough (<$50 US), and only require a SIM card to work, so maybe just use while on vacation. But again, if that cheap and easy, why won't a $6000 camera have that in at least an accessory?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow